See the full recipe post on Monique of Ambitious Kitchen’s site!
DescriptionPut a spin on Mexican night with this healthy, vegetarian skillet dish. Ready in 30 minutes!
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, Diced
- 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
- ½ Jalapeno, Seeded And Diced
- 3 cups 1/2 Inch Diced, Peeled Butternut Squash
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- Salt And Pepper To Season
- 1 can (15 Oz. Size) Black Beans, Rinsed And Drained
- 8 Yellow Corn Tortillas (taco Size), Cut Into Thick Strips
- 1 can (15 Oz. Size) Red Enchilada Sauce
- 1 cup Reduced-fat Colby Jack Or Mexican Cheese, Divided
- Cilantro And Low Fat Sour Cream, For Serving
Preparation InstructionsHeat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large oven-proof skillet. Add onions, garlic, and jalapeno and cook 2-3 minutes until onions become translucent and garlic is fragrant. Add cubed squash, cumin and chili powder and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the squash is slightly tender, 8 to 10 minutes. You want the squash to be fork tender, but not so tender that it starts to fall apart and become mush.
Next add the black beans, corn tortilla pieces, and can of enchilada sauce and stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low and sprinkle in 1/2 cup of cheese. Stir again and simmer for a few minutes until everything is nice and melted.
Turn your oven broiler to high. Sprinkle an additional 1/2 cup of cheese over the top of the enchilada mixture and place in the oven under broiler for 3-5 minutes until cheese melts and tortilla edges become a bit golden brown. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Serve with sour cream, cilantro, guacamole, or hot sauce!